Friday, November 30, 2018

no book november

November was kind of weird for me. I read like four books in a row then barely read anything for the rest of the month. A kind of average month.

November Book Reviews


Pachinko (Min Jin Lee) 

8.5/10 In all honesty, this should've been a 9+ book for me. It had everything I loved; themes of family and identity, a sweeping narrative that takes us through 70 years of history and four generations, thoughtful in-depth looks at social issues...and don't get me wrong. All of that was great. But unlike similar books like Homegoing, it didn't leave as much as an impact. The later generations failed to grab me as much as the earlier ones, and there were parts that seemed rushed or not elaborated on enough. Still, I really appreciated how it highlighted the social issues of the time, which still echo down today. The issues of race, identity and homelands is of course at the forefront, but also interesting to me was the casual way the misogyny of the times were portrayed. I really liked how natural it felt, that things were expected of women and no one really questioned it, especially the women. The ordinary way it was a part of the world made it even more extraordinary and I really appreciated the lowkey approach. While it still was a good book, it just lacked that extra factor for me to consider it one of my favs.


The Adventure Zone: Here Be Gerblins (Clint McElroy)

8/10 A solid adaption of a well-loved (and well-deserved) D&D podcast! I've listened to the first arc of this podcast before, which is what this volume is based on. The two things I really appreciated about TAZ were the humor, and the unconventional ways they change up the typical high fantasy D&D environment. I thought this graphic novel managed to convey both rather well! I especially liked the colorful, almost casual comic style. It works for their style of humor by having comedic expressions and exaggerated scenes rather than detailed fantasy artwork. I also liked how they incorporated the fourth wall breaking DM comments. I'll be on the outlook for their next arc!

Women Talking (Miriam Toews)

4.5/10 I can definitely see where the value of this book comes from. The set up is a prime metaphor for women's issues as well as the role religion plays in those issues. There's a lot of discussion to be had about the characters, the choices they make and how that reflects on society today. But...I did not enjoy reading this book. Honestly, if I was forced to write on essay on it for a class I might have appreciated this book more. But as a reader, the writing felt unbearably tedious and rigid, the topics repetitive and dull...and all this with its short length too. The worst part of it is, (and this might too be a metaphor) the POV for this women's conversation is a man. And such an annoying one too, I really could not stand his random facts. I went back and gave Animal Farm a higher score after reading this because both of them seem like they'd be really good study topics but at least Animal Farm was way more engaging to read.

Women & Power (Mary Beard)

6/10 I feel like this book might have been way more compelling as an actual lecture or even better, a TED talk. It's an interesting angle she takes by comparing the treatment of women in Greco-Roman historical context to that of Western society today, especially with the influence that the culture had on Western civilization. Still, this book didn't really present anything mind blowing. There were some points that I thought were interesting and I still remember, such as points on Medusa and the fashion choices of women in power both in the past and today. But there were other points where I felt like the references she was making felt a little forced, or weren't as unique and memorable. Even the topics that I did like, the entire thing was a bit too short for her to go in-depth and expand on them. Overall, it was an alright read but not exactly epiphanic for me.

A Murder in Time (Julie McElwain)

5.5/10 Alright, so this book could've been half as long and it would've been twice as good. Honestly, it's not a bad concept: FBI agent slips back into time, solves a murder, flirts with a handsome marquise. What's not to love? But the book has so much goddamn filler. The intro and build ups take way too long. Like saying "and he'll murder again!" once as a chapter closing is fine but when they do it 5 times it just ends up with me going "bitch I hope the fuck you do". The protagonist is also way too much of a Mary Sue. It's not enough that's a top FBI agent in a male dominated world, she's also got some BS backstory about her being a superbaby (and therefore also parental figure issues? I don't know). She's got all the spunk and sass of a 21st century gal! While some of the characters are presented as having a 'modern' attitude, most of them are just there to make the protagonist look good by saying dumb, presumably historically accurate things. It's just too unbelievable sometimes. And speaking of unbelievable, the almost non existent build up for the main couple. Still, despite all my complaints, it was easy to read and good in a fanfiction standard kind of way. I'm sort of curious how the story will continue from this book. Like I said, it's a neat concept and it could be fun as a mystery series with the MC solving cases in the past. Now if all of them could just be...shorter.

Undead Girl Gang (Lily Anderson)

8/10 I actually really enjoyed this book! It does have all the trappings of a typical high school YA fic, the stereotypical cliques, the loner 'outcast' protagonist, but it also manages to turn some of them around. I really like the concept to begin with and I liked the blend of mystery novel with a hint of urban fantasy. What I loved most about the whole Wicca and spells element of the book was that it didn't try to push the idea that it was all real and everyone can do it as long as they buy the right ingredients from their local New Age/Occult shop. "Spells are just prayers with more steps and a name that scares people." I expected it to go the other way considering the premise is literally about a spell that succeeds in bringing people back to life, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I liked the cast of characters and the female friendship theme. At the heart of it, that's really what a lot of the appeal is with witches and Wicca and covens, especially for teenagers. We're all just trying to be a little less lonely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment