Wednesday, January 1, 2020

year end review ii

We poppin bottles!!! Celebrating once again, the only New Year's Resolution I kept! I'm just going to stop making resolutions and just hope I continue to read more books. I learned from my lesson of having a weird number and instead ended the year on a total of 75 books. It's four less than last year but at least it looks nicer. There's a lot of stats on page count and length on my Goodreads but mainly my average rating this year was 3.3 WHICH sounds bad at first but I went back to 2018 and it was 3.0 so...an improvement! Truly 'okay' reads. Anyway, time for more non-Goodreads tracked stats:

My monthly average was 6.25 books per month with May at 11 and August at....1. Again! I was busy reading light novels. Moving on!

The genre make up was 28 fiction, 22 nonfiction, 12 young adult, 6 short story, 5 graphic novel, and 1 each of children's lit and poetry. More or less the same spread as last year's, with slightly more YA and graphic novels, less fiction and somehow the exact amount of nonfiction.

In the fiction section, 14 of them were split equally by fantasy (7) and mystery (7) , and 6 of them were historical. Compared to last year contemporary fell from first place with me having only read 3 of them. Sadly, sci-fi failed to make the list at all.

As for non-fiction, science (7) was apparently my favorite. It didn't even crack top four last year so I guess this year I traded science fiction for science nonfiction. Gender issues (4) and history (3) were the next two subjects for this year. While gender issues was also a focus last year, biography and current issues both dropped. Lots of shake-up in the non-fiction department despite reading the same number of books!

For YA novels this year, I read the exact number of fantasy (8) as last year. Luckily there's a bit more diversity with mystery (3) and romance (1) rounding out the rest.

Half of the short story collections I read were fantasy (3) with the other half a variety of biography, mystery and sci-fi. (So at least I did read something in the sci-fi genre!)

In terms of authors...shout-out to my girls!! 49 of the 74 books I read had female authors and only 26 of them were male. A good 14 of the female authors and 5 of the male authors were people of color. Once again, Asian descent was the most common at 14 out of the 19.

Best Books of the Month


January: From Here to Eternity (Science, Nonfiction)
February: A Darker Shade of Magic (Fantasy, YA)
       honorable mention: Men Explain Things to Me (Gender Issues, Nonfiction)
March: Broad Strokes (History/Art, Nonfiction)
       honorable mention: The Westing Game (Mystery, YA)
April: The Giver: Graphic Novel (YA/Sci-fi, Graphic Novel
       honorable mention: Sleep No More (Mystery, Short Story)
May: Becoming (Biography)
       honorable mention: How Long 'till Black Future Month (Fantasy/Sci-fi, Short Story)
June: The Rook (Fantasy)
       honorable mention: Six of Crows (Fantasy, YA)
July: none :(
August: literally only read one book
       if I could pick a light novel: The Wolf Lord's Lady
September: Girl at War (Historical, Fiction)
October: none despite reading 8 books :(
November: The Fifth Risk (Current Issues, Nonfiction)
       honorable mention: Bottle of Lies (Science, Nonfiction)
December: The Moth Presents: All These Wonders (Biography, Short Story)
       honorable mention: Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Mystery)

Best in Genre


Fiction (Contemporary): Everything I Never Told You [Not much competition but this really was a nice, short read dealing with, you guessed it, POC centered issues.]

Fiction (Historical): Girl at War [Despite reading 6 books in this genre, there also wasn't much competition to consider.]

Horror: Horrostor [I read two horror novels and I absolutely hated the other one.]

Fantasy: The Rook [It was hard deciding between this and Shades of Magic but I think my personal preference for urban fantasy tipped the scales.]

Mystery: Miss Marple the Complete Short Stories [While I did read a couple of other good mystery novels I just have such a bias for Agatha Christie and Miss Marple.]

Romance: The Bride Test [Just having read a romance novel I didn't hate is a miracle already.]

Graphic Novel: The Prince and the Dressmaker [It's just cute!!!]

Biography: Becoming [HANDS DOWN. One of my favs this year period.]

Science: Bottle of Lies [This had some competition! The true crime vibes of this one really helped.]

History: Questions I Am Asked About the Holocaust [This had no competition.]

Short Story: How Long 'till Black Future Month [Debated hard between this and The Moth but the sheer creativity and the longer story format is what I'd go for.]

Young Adult: Truly Devious [Takes the top spot among all the fantasy YA I read this year. Just gotta switch it up sometimes I guess.]

The Best & the Worst


Five Stars (5) vs One Star (0)

Okay, rather than this being a reflection of how good or bad this year was I think it's more of a reflection of how my rating system has tended towards just not giving absolute one stars. It's true that I probably didn't hate any book but...there have been some books I've seriously disliked. If I had to pick one then I'd go with 'Fool'.
The humor was coarse and roll-my-eyes asinine and shallow. The male wish fulfillment ONCE AGAIN ruins the entire thing, reducing female characters to nothing more than talking cardboard set pieces. I'm starting to see a trend in the type of books I hate. The worst is probably the wasted potential of what could've been a witty dark comedy featuring a Shakespearean tragedy told from the point of view of a fourth-wall breaking, overlooked jester. It wishes it could have what Deadpool has. Anyway, I'm the real clown for reading this. In the new year, let's not repeat these mistakes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment